How to Maintain Hardwood Floors
• Vacuum or sweep floor regularly. General cleaning once every week is recommended.
• Remove spills promptly using your Bona MicroPlus mop or a soft cloth and Bona Swedish Formula Hardwood Floor Cleaner .
• Place mats at exterior doors to trap sand and grit. Use area rugs in high traffic pathways, at the ends of steps and near doorways. Avoid rubber backing or non-ventilated rugs.
• Use protective pads or caps, such as Bona Floor Guards, on feet of furniture.
• Maintain a consistent humidity level between heating seasons in all living areas.
• Excessive swings in humidity levels will cause hardwood floors to swell, shrink, cup, crack and show excessive gaps between boards. The use of humidifier and/or dehumidifier systems is recommended where inconsistent humidity levels occur.
Hardwood Floor No No’s:
• Don't let sand, dirt or grit build up. They can act like sandpaper and actually abrade and dull your floor finish.
• Don't damp mop hardwood floors. Too much water damages polyurethane finished wood floors. They can dull today's floor finishes and make refinishing difficult.
• Don't let your pet's claws go untrimmed. Proper claw trimming helps avoid scratches and gouges.
• Avoid walking on your hardwood floors in high heels, if you must, keep heels in good repair.
• Don't use oil soap or other household cleaners on polyurethane finished wood floors. They can dull today's floor finishes and make refinishing difficult.
How to safely clean Hardwood Floors:
• Vacuum, dry mop or sweep to remove any loose dirt or grit. The best method of removing dirt and grit is vacuuming with a soft brush attachment on your vacuum. If using the Bona MicroPlus mop to dry mop, remove any loose dirt or grit after dry-mopping by rinsing with water and wringing out the mop pad prior to cleaning floor with Bona Swedish Formula Hardwood Floor Cleaner .
• Lightly mist a 4' x 6' area of your floor or directly mist the cleaning pad with Bona Swedish Formula Hardwood Floor Cleaner .
• Clean using a slightly dampened, well wrung-out Bona MicroPlus cleaning pad. Thoroughly clean the floor surface using your Bona MicorPlus mop. Finish one area before moving on to the next.
• When the mop pad becomes excessively soiled, launder and/or replace with another clean mop pad. Continued use of excessively soiled pads may cause streaking. Your Bona MicroPlus cleaning pads are reusable and washable.
• Do not use any fabric softeners, dryer sheets or bleach on your Bona MicroPlus cleaning pads as these products will diminish the natural cleaning characteristics of the microfiber.
• When a spill occurs, soak up the liquid right away. Mist the area with cleaner, and wipe with your Bona MicorPlus mop or a clean, soft cloth.
Please contact Sandra-Danny@FloorsEtcetera.com for a no-charge design consultation and answers to your questions about your wood flooring choices. Or phone 713-880-8888